Sunday, March 13, 2005

A Woman's Worth

The Suicide of Lucretia - Ludovico Mazzanti c.1730

This painting is inspired by the story of the pious Roman wife who, after being raped, told her husband about it and then stabbed herself in the heart - choosing death over disgrace. What I loved most about this painting is the tiny detail of her bed bought to life for me by Sister Wendy Beckett . An angel is there, wings spread to fly but instead is bowed and secured to the bed. Sister Wendy mentioned something like 'by tying a woman to the bed (making her an object of sexual desire) not only dishonours her but never gives her opportunity to fly.' Something interesting to think about for both the guys and the girls.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great painting. But I wonder whether her suicide reinforces the notion that a woman's worth is limited to her sexuality - another time, another culture I guess.

10:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home