Monday, November 13, 2006

Break it to the Family Gently

The Characters:
Kevin: Uncle, likes reading about war veterans as 'the buggers didn't know what they were getting into'. Works for Western Power down in Bunbury and hates the new wind farms.
Maureen: Aunty, Kevin's second wife, stuck in the nineties, just got her hair done and terribly insecure about it. She's pretty and Kevin tells her all the time.
Granddad: Has taken full advantage of his age and has finally found an excuse for his smart tongue and cheeky wit in a new medication for his heart. My nanna believes his lies and tries to stop him taking it. I'm not sure if that's grounds for murder?

The Setting:
Around the breakfast table at my mum's parents place. I'm flicking through a newspaper. It's pretty average.

The Dialogue:
Maureen: You're not in school anymore are you? (stuck in the nineties)
Me: No, at uni... arts degree, which we all know means I don't do much. Thinking I might head to the US for year though..
All: Why?
Granddad: (eyes sparkling) That place is full of yanks
Me: Where else am I meant to go?
Kevin: That's right, the UK is full of Poms
Granddad: ..and Europe's full of foreigners
Kevin: (to me) Can I read that article about the diggers?

Obviously, if you're travelling the best place you could go is the Nullabor. Fantastic.

Aside from this weird stuff, I love my family. The rest of the morning was spent talking about train-jumping in the depression and how my great-uncle used to jump the trains to the Goldfields and the station master would be waiting with a pot of tea when he arrived. Classic Australiana.


3 Comments:

Blogger HaRRy BoY said...

Hi Clare.

I've just arrived here and noticed no one has been commenting on your blog of recent times..

So here is a comment. Consider it a sympathy comment if you will.

It's ok, i certainly know the anguish and the deep seeded hollow feelings it can leave you with when your friends and peers choose not to comment on your blog in which you put alot of time and work into. It really does gut your world from the inside out.

And it most definitely doesn't equip you for blossoming into that fine young man or woman of the lord.

To all Clare's close friends.. You should all be ashamed of yourselves!!

5:43 PM

 
Blogger Clare said...

i cannot believe you found another excuse to say the B-word on my blog.

get that filth out of here!

6:00 PM

 
Blogger HaRRy BoY said...

no really... my post was legit.

i just chose to throw the B-word in there for fun. seeing as though i know how much you love it.


aaaahhahaha.

anyway. re the no comment thing...

i hear posts about boobs gets the comments rolling on in!

Another fine "B-word"

9:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home