Meet me in Two and a Half Years?
Many of you will have heard me say something about Grand Rapids, Michigan. For those of you who haven't, I want to be there. At first I didn't know why, but I've received some clarity about it.
It's almost been a year since the idea started forming in the back of my mind. A few months ago it felt as though G-d were saying "there's a piece of you over there. I put it there before I made the things you see. Go find it." But of course, I second guess it.
What awaits me there? I'm not sure. It may have something to do with G-d building me up - or more likely tearing me down. Will I find community there that feels like home, will it be another high school experience? Will there be love, or will there be loneliness? Will I have to grieve the loss of a grandparent while overseas? What happens if I am asked to live there? What if there's nothing there at all and it is just a deviation on a long, ninety-year walk?
I can't say for sure.
Now, if I finish my degree and go on to study and complete a masters in that town, that's still around two and half years away.
I wonder. Will my interest wane over that time? Will this intense longing feeling start to ebb?
I feel like a little girl leaving her first love. My parents are moving cities and I may never see that first boy again.
Meet me in two and a half years in Grand Rapids, Michigan?
Will I remember, will you remember me?
Or will it be one of those moments, "huh.. old story, I used to crush on you real bad, when I was a kid"

2 Comments:
Maybe you're hanging out to hang out with Rob Bell... And that would be a more than reasonable reason for showing your face in Grand Rapids
9:06 AM
haha!
That's what Ryder says!
But Bell is no idol, just another voice. But the community there, highly intriguing... have you read their stories page?
Letterman is on. He has never been able to make me laugh, tonight is no exception.
I am going to bed :)
11:24 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home