Thursday, December 18, 2008

Happy #5

"Cut out violent or depressing media"

This one makes sense right? This advice is as old as the pyramids. Whatever you are putting in will most likely come out. So watch what you are putting in. Solomon put it this way, "Guard your thoughts, for they are the source of true life".

This also works from a positive perspective, how many times am I more cynical, aggressive, empathetic after watching something like Die Hard 4? (coincidentally, Zac and my first movie date, my choice). It isn't just movies, it's reading the news (mostly all horrible), the lyrics of the songs you choose to listen to and the type of books you read.  

When I find myself getting down, or I realize I am not the being person I want to be, I turn to my old favourites: Amelie, Roman Holiday, Sahara, children's novels and tintin comics. Anything light-hearted that reflects the values I hold and shows people demonstrating behaviour that I want to emulate. Kindness, imagination, creativity, empathy, bravery, humility. 

Sorry John McClane, you may handle a gun well, and it's funny when you say "yippee-kiyay-mother****er" to show the baddies who's boss. But that is not what I want to be like. So I shan't be watching much of you in the near future!


Aside from the obvious gender difference, being like John McClane is just. No..

I would rather be like Amelie, skipping stone on Canal Saint-Martin to gather my thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home