Another Question from BDG
Q. How come, in the Bible, when Jesus was visiting the sick girl did he stop and ask 'who touched me ... I feel power has gone from me' Why did he stop for that woman?
So there are two answers to the question, that I can think of.
A1. Jesus didn't know who touched him.
'But wait!' I hear you theologians answering, 'doesn't that mean he wasn't God?'
Not necessarily. Philippians 2 tells us that Jesus emptied himself of everything that he had a right to - such as being everywhere at once, knowing everything etc. We know that Jesus was in constant communion with God. We also know that the Father gave him things to do at certain times. Perhaps the Father told Jesus to stop and Jesus obeyed.
But Why?
A2. After the women tells her story, Jesus says something interesting "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering."
The word peace here has the same sort of meaning as the Hebrew word shalom. Remember I posted on this a while ago? I'll post the quote again.
"This (root verb of Shalom meaning 'whole' or 'complete') underscores the links between covenant and shalom. Covenant implies a rightly ordered relationship, whether between people, with God, or with the creation. In the biblical view these relationships become inseparable. Shalom is the vision of the harmony, fulfillment, and fellowship among God, humanity, and the creation; its result is justice, peace, and the integrity of creation. In the understanding of covenant we discover God’s pledge of faithfulness, intention, and grace to bring about shalom in all that is created." -Wesley Granberg-Michaelson
Jesus was restoring her - fully.
She was once again a part of the community
Once again a daughter of Abraham and of God
The entire crowd saw that it wasn't her lack of faith or sin that had made her diseased.
The stigma of her disease had gone
Maybe physical healing wasn't all God wanted to do?
Either way, you have two perfectly good answers. Both could be correct.

5 Comments:
wow clarebear.... I love your answers. Think you're very very wise! :)
11:24 PM
feh
12:06 PM
the b00f™ thinks that our Lord (not tOny but Jesus) was asking a rhetorical question but the dude who wrote it down put the Q-mark the wrong way around... just ask tOny or any other latino/mexican speaking fool/person, and they will tell u that an upside down Q-mark means that it is a rhetorical question!
the man knew the answer to the question and he just wanted to see if anyone else had any idea... just like when Austin asked, "honestly, who throws a shoe?"
12:39 AM
I love how you're bringing it back to worship Clare! If only there we more posts like this on more blogs - keep on spurrin on baby doll - I feel stirred and it feels good!
9:52 AM
kym it's all about the balance.
i'll talk about things that actually matter, important to the state of the universe...
...and el rancho can just post photos!
1:24 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home