Theistic Evolution
So I admit that I always try to get out of the "Creation vs. Evolution" arguement by saying that I think that God could've created the Earth in 7 days no problem, but I think that He could've used evolution as a tool.. like God's time is different to ours, it all depends on how literally you take Genesis 1&2 right?
Well, I just learned that this sort of slant on evolution is called Theistic Evolution. Further reading popped a question that I can't account for within my comfortable theory... What about Eve? I never really thought about the evolution theory that far - I just thought about all the animals etc. I've always thought that God created humans separately to animals. Evolution says we are a result of evolution in animals. The Bible says that Eve was created from a rib in Adam, if I don't believe that Eve was taken from Adam's side then I don't believe what scripture says and I can't (and won't) be picking and choosing what I like from Scripture. It's all or nothing. If I do believe it, then Theistic Evolution cannot be, as it isn't harmonious with Scripture.
Another problem with theistic evolution is that Scripture says that God created man from the dust of the ground, not from the Ocean as theorized in Evolution. Another point is that the word used in Genesis for 'made' is a Hebrew word 'asah' which means to work, to produce. The writer of Genesis didn't use this word in ignorance of evolution, he truly believed that God said 'let there be...' and there was.
I wonder what this means for my future debates on evolution and creation with normal non-Christian people? I think I will scrap my comfortable theory and plead ignorance, pointing to the bigger claims and questions of Christianity.....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home