Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Chef

Some of you know about the chef that I work with. He's a very normal person, slightly crazy and obsessed with the things a non-christian man would be obsessed about (that would be sex - if you catch my drift)

The Chef tries his damndest to make sense of Christianity, asking me about everything from abortion to the Da Vinci Code. He hasn't even read the aforemetioned book, but wanted to ask about it anyway as it's so controversial. Go figure.

The problem the chef has in understanding Chrisitianity is the problem a lot of people in the world have. They live shallow. They never go deep and his view of Chrisitianity is seen through this shallowness. If Christianity was a house, to him it would be the paint colours, not the foundation. He fills his day with work and music from the radio. He never quiets down enough to hear the call of God. Everything he asks about is in regards to shallow theology and doctrine not the simplicity of the good news about God's grace. What about homosexuality - God stills loves gay people. What about abortion - God still loves people who abort. What about immoral pastors - God still loves immoral pastors. Unfortuneately I know christians who also live like this. Hell, I have to remind myself not to everyday!

No matter how annoying his questions get (yes, God loves murderers and child molesters) his questions always remind me of how simple God's love is. He loves us un-conditionally, doesn't matter what we've done, He loves us regardless. Grace is beautiful because it's simple and doesn't need to be earned.

I hope that the chef will go deep enough one day and hear the cry of the spirit inside of him. Perhaps he will be fishing one day and the wonder of creation will stir his soul. Just hope he doesn't have the music blaring too loud to miss it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clare, you are right, shallowness is the scourge of not only the non-Christian, but the Christian also.

The Chef sounds, as you say, like a very normal person, I guess you could call him a hedonist, one who lives for their own pleasure. Yet sadly again, we Christians can be plagued with the same affliction. Sure we may go to Church every week and maybe give 10% of our wage, perhaps we even stick to most of the rules but all too often we live fairly self-centred lives. Of course the good news is that God loves us in spite of this, yet the challenge is there for us to live more Christ-like lives.

Perhaps this is part of the reason why the chef has such a poor understanding of Christianity, perhaps the blame lies with us and that we have not adequately portrayed the values and the message of Christ.

I first checked this blog out when your dad linked it from Phil's blog, I was impressed with your take on things, I hope Clare that you can give some intelligent answers to your chef friend, and still respect him as a person. Some Christians cant really handle non-Christians, who talk about sex, and swear and use recreational drugs and drink exessively. Yet Jesus was a friend of sinners.

11:04 PM

 
Blogger Clare said...

I know.. i often wonder where Jesus would be preaching if He had chosen now to come to earth and not 2005 years ago. I reckon he'd be in places like northbridge and pingelly.. just travelling around to the real people and teaching them about God and life. Jesus is awesome, I wish I could emulate Him better!

8:53 PM

 
Blogger ToNyAKAsErG said...

pingelly? when you say pingelly are you contrasting between good and bad (pingelly being good of course) or are you associating it with northbridge? i love that place.. i would even TEACH there if i was lucky enough.. Pingelly ROCKS!

5:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's actually nothing wrong with wanting to know about a controversial book even if you haven't read it yet... >:(

1:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home