Saturday, June 25, 2005

On Simplicity

I was 16 and talking with an older friend at Church about whether or not I should go straight to Bible College once I left school. I asked what he thought about going to Bible College, to which he replied "I don't want to study theology, I want to have a simple faith."

Thinking about it tonight as I was going to sleep (haha another going to sleep thought!) I also want to have a simple faith but I get to that through intellectual reading and study of God's word, history, dogma & doctrine, apologetics etc.

I guess it's just part of the way I work. A part of my story is that I have always wrestled with the questions 'is God real? Is salvation real? Is grace real? How does it work? What's the evidence for/against Christian faith?' So a lot of my faith comes from answering these questions.. but some of my faith comes from the un-answerables.

For example, a question I was asking at 17 was 'Should I believe in God, should I live for Him? even though I knew beyond doubt that God was real, I still couldn't decide. I didn't feel close to God at all and despite all the the intellectual answers that I knew were correct, I still couldn't answer the question. I distinctly remember lying in bed one night and deciding then and there that it didn't matter whether God had chosen to let me know Him or not. I would still worship Him, becuase He is worthy of that in Himself - not just because of what He's done for us. All glorious was my God and I would live for Him even if I never knew Him in a close way or never went to Heaven. I life lived for God, even if I was eventually away from Him in eternity, was a life well spent. A bit religious and fundamental, but it was a turning point for me. I made a leap in the dark - not knowing which was the correct way to go and it lead me past complex questions into simple trust. I just trusted that God would make a way for me to know Him.

Now I know His grace is real because I have experiences His forgiveness and His unending patience and love. I have so much knowledge of the way Christianity works and I fully intend on expanding it, but at the same time this knowedge drives me towards simplicity, not complexity, in my relationship with and all-glorious, all-powerful God.

Karl Barth (pronounced 'Bart') a well noted theologian and intellectual of the 20th Century was at a press conference in Chicago. He was asked if he could summarise what he had said in all the volumes of books he had written. He paused for a moment before replying, "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so..." I guess that's the way I also feel...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There does seem to be a lot of Christians who are quite opposed to knowledge and learning, opting rather for the " I want to have a simple faith." option... If the Bible does extol the virtues of simple faith, I wonder if we have confused simplicity with naivety.

When Jesus encourages us to be like children, why do we imagine this means being naive about our faith? Why do we imagine it means that you shouldn't ask questions or seek knowledge? I mean children crave knowledge and learning. I have a 2½ year old and one of his favorite expressions is "s'at daddy" which translated is "what iS thAT daddy" So perhaps in order to become more child-like we actually need to ask more questions not less.

I don't get this opposition to learning and knowledge. I mean I am no intellectual, but a mere "high school drop out" And I bearly learnt a thing during my 3 years of high school.... Yet since leaving school (nearly 15 years ago now), I have developed a true love of learning and it has been my faith that has lead me down that path. I love to learn about humanity, culture, science, nature, politics, art, religion and of course God. For me this has lead me to a clearer understanding of God and what it mans to be a Christian.

10:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home