Vows
I was thinking about those traditional wedding vows the other day, you know:
Then I remembered that Scripture refers to the Church universal as the bride of Christ. And in Hosea it seems like God is trying to make it known that it's okay to draw similarities between the relationship that we call marriage and how He views His people.
So I wonder what it would mean to have Jesus say these words to His people, the broken bride?
I Jesus, take you Church, to be my bride
Jesus accepts us. This never ceases to amaze me when I take the time to pause and reflect on this. Despite all our junk, He still loves. The stunning thing is He does it willingly. There is no one telling God what to do. He is eternal holy love and that cannot exist without being expressed, God takes us as we are and chooses us as the object of His love.
to have and to hold from this day forward
the commitment that He displays inspires me to give back just as much as I take. And I guess that's the desired response for our love, right? That when we show our devotion, our heart, our intentions and commitment, that it will be met or matched in those we love.
for better or for worse
Summer love is like no other love. It flows easily and gently from the heart but when rain starts stinging our skin and fog rolls around us we lose sight of our love so easily. I'm so glad that Jesus loves with a love that doesn't change. Unending. Ever gracious. Ever passionate. Ever holy. No matter what.
for richer, for poorer
I know someone who is "poor in spirit" at the moment. She battles the black of depression and lives moment by moment, day by day. I remember that feeling, not being able to comprehend the concept of future or that time really would move me past that black place. The faithfulness of God keeps us breathing when we don't have the strength and it's the richness of His presence that moves us forward when we are poor in spirit.
in sickness and in health
There's a small controversy in the Australian Church at the moment surrounding a broken young man. I really feel for him and his immediate family. I struggle/d with the same thing he does. I battle the same giants. I'm so grateful that Jesus loves us both in our sickness, and doesn't abandon us in search of someone healthier - easier to love. What astounds me is that Jesus is the only one who knows the full extent of our sinfulness, and yet it seems He has more love for us than our fellow sinners who don't even know the full story.
to love and to cherish
There are not enough words in the English language to describe the many facets of love. But this word "cherish" adds another element to these vows. It shows that God moves not only in grand, gracious, impressive love, but in simple delight. I love the funny little quirks that make Zac who he is. I would miss them if they went away. When I'm particularly silly he expresses something similar - "I wouldn't have you any other way". I see God's love reflected in sentiments like that.
from this day forward
That's the second time "forward" is mentioned. What a good reminder that this love between Christ and His bride is not stagnant or in some kind of eternal stasis, but dynamic and moving forward, moving outward. How else can perfect love be expressed? It is completely unselfish - it has to be expressed outward toward others.
until death parts us
What I love the most about thinking about this parallel is that the last line doesn't apply. One day, my marriage to my future husband will end, either he will die or I will. Who knows when or how it will happen. Of only one thing I'm sure - that the life that lives in me now will never end, death will never conquer or quench it. The fire of love that burns in my heart will never be extinguished, because of God's love for his people
If Jesus can love the broken Church this much...
Wow, I want to love the Church like He does.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home